About Me

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Full Name: Brenda Jean Herhei (okay, so I'm finally admitting what the "J" is for :)

Born: December 10, 1970 in Wilmington, Delaware (but I grew up in PA)

Previous Life: I became an R.N. in 1994 and worked as a pediatric nurse for 10 years.

Favorite Ice cream flavor: Friendly's Mocha Chip! Mmmmm!!!

Favorite Quote: "Then the time came when the risk it took, to remain tight in a bud, was more painful, then the risk it took to blossom"

Became a Christian: I grew up in a Christian home and became a believer at a very young age. I dedicated my life to Christ at the age of eight but truly I can't remember an age that I wasn't being taught who Jesus was and that He died to save me.

Joined PIONEERS staff: August 2001

Moved to Hungary: May 2003 (good day!)

My Story: Who knew someday I would be on a church planting team in Hungary?! Not me! I was a pediatric nurse, had participated in numerous medical/surgical missions trips, and then God asked me to leave my comfort zone and do another thing. Many people wonder why I'm not using my nursing and I tell them to ask Him....because most days I'm as confused as they are. But I'm confused with peace as He's the one who called me here to be a part of what He is doing in Hungary. I'm excited to see what comes of this path He has taken me down and having a lot of fun in the process. One thing is for sure, I definitely like going to work a lot more than I used to!

My Family: I have parents who love the Lord, each other, then us...in that order. I wish more parents realize what a sense of security that gives kids. I have two sisters Christy and Katie; both whom I love dearly and as each year goes by it seems they are only getting better with age. Nathan my brother-in-law is in the picture now (Christy had something to do with that). He is a great guy, loves my sister and it is nice for my dad to finally have a guy around after all of these years of women. I have or had another sister named Jenny. Jenny was very special, we loved her completely, and we miss her a lot now that she is gone. I heard someone say once that heaven seems a bit more special once you have a loved one there; I always thought that was odd but now I see it's true. It makes it seem more tangible somehow. She didn't have the easiest life and taught me much about who God is and how each individual creation is precious to Him. (She also taught my family how to laugh :)

My Team: I've just returned from furlough and have joined one of our focus teams that is targeting the county of Heves Megye! Right now we are living and church planting in a small town called Petőfibánya which is about 45 minutes Northeast of Budapest. My PI teammates are the Mercers (who are also from my home church) and Heidi Sarles and our Hungarian partners are the Fülöp Family and Janka Szebegyinszki. To see frequent updates and photos of our ministry read my blog updates or you can click on the following link to the Mercers website which has a lot of info as well. We would love for you to know what is going on and how to pray for us more specifically!
Mercers Website:
http://www.mercerfamily.com/javajournal

I Just Wanted To Say: Every day I understand a little bit more about my need for my Savior. Little by little the ugly stuff is getting stripped away as I look to Him realizing that I can do none of this on my own. I read a book recently that encouraged us to remember that as God has an eternity to perfect us His time frame may be a bit different than ours. Most days I understand that and am thankful and the other days, well I try to remind myself that it's His time not mine. Meanwhile until that final day comes I'm sharing with people about my God and trying to love a little more like Jesus.

Did You Know?

- I was a Swedish St. Lucia one year (lit candles in my crown, wax dripping
down my hair, grandfather in the front row with a fire extinguisher certain
that I was going to catch on fire). As as result I can sing some variation of
about seven Swedish Christmas songs. (I wonder if that would get me a job
at IKEA?)

- That my first/second and third/fourth grades were all in one classroom

- That I've climbed a mountain in Kenya

- My absolute favorite thing in the whole world to do in the fall is drive up to
see a Penn State Football game. I'm such a great fan that I even listen to games
in the middle of the night in Hungary over the internet (which I think should get
me some kind of honorary degree for dedication to the cause :)! It's especially
nice now that they are winning again!

- I hate, really really hate, super sweet birthday cake icing! Oh, and I have a
funny odd "picky about meat" thing going on too. Who knew?! (Okay well
anyone who has ever eaten a meal with me does...)

- And last but not least...drum roll please...I just found out that my dad's
grandparents were born only a few hours from where I live now in Hungary.
I really had absolutely no idea! How cool is my God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP